Tuesday 2 January 2018

The Milne Family - From Aberdeenshire, Scotland to Southland, New Zealand - First generation

Over the last five years I have found 645 of my paternal ancestors who are currently sitting in my Ancestry.com Milne Family tree. Ancestry.com and FamilySearch have been invaluable in identifying these people. But I would like to share their stories and locked in Ancestry.com I can not do this. The connections I have made are all hypothetical I have no actual evidence other than joining the dots. I am scientist so I have rather an analytical brain. It is my hope that readers of this blog will fill in the gaps and correct me where I have gone wrong.

John and Jane Milne. Date: unknown.
Location: Gore, Southland, NZ 
The first person I would like to introduce is John Milne born 1814 in Clatt, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. John's parent were John (1778–1815) and Mary Milne (nee Hendry) (1785–1860) and John was the youngest of four children. In 1841 at the age of 27 years John fathered a son John Milne (1841-1906) with Margaret Garrow before he married Jane Jean Dawson (1818–1907) on 16 Jun 1843 in Oyne, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. 

Resident in the Clatt parish Manse, in 1851. John is recorded as a carrier and farmer of 9 acres. In 1861 John and Jane have eleven children and living in Whitestone, Skene, Westhill, a farmer of 100 acres. Their twelfth child arrived August 1862. 
This maybe the property? Anyone live in this area?
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/whitestone-farmhouse/skene/westhill/ab32-6xs/129713

John and Jane with their 12 children set sail for New Zealand in 1865.


Scottish 1851 census
Scottish 1861 census
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ourstuff/JessieGilbert.htm

1 comment: